Wedding!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

CF Awareness week day 3

Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a genetically inerited, life-shortening condition. If two adults carry the CF gene then their child would have a 1 in 4 chance of having CF. Most people do not even realise they are carriers of the gene until their child is born with the condition. Below is a diagram to show the inheritance of CF.


I fell into the unlucky category of being the 1 in 4 who gets the condition, as did my oldest sibling (who was diagnosed after me despite being 5 years older). My twin brother fell into the category of not carrying any of the CF genes (he was tested after his partner became pregnant). My other sister does not know if she is a carrier or not as she has had no reason to be tested, she has no plans to have children and getting tested won't make any difference to her current plans. My brother struggles with the fact he is not even a carrier, especially when he sees myself or my eldest sibling ill. Whilst you can't help the genes you receive he still feels guilty, which I think is the reason my sister won't get tested as she too doesn't like to see us ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment