Wedding!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A self-professed nerd!

I have always loved school. Whether it was primary, secondary, college or university I have always loved to learn. I was never afraid to admit that maths was one of my most favourite subjects and I went to school quite happily every morning and always found the school holidays long because I missed school for the learning!

I was always the child who had their homework done, I would get home from school and start doing my homework, eat my tea and then finish my homework off. I remember many a time where I was one of a handful who had actually done their homework on time for those teachers who were a little bit lax in whether they could be bothered to take the work in or not.

I am now in the middle of an introduction to sign language course. As has always been my pattern my nerd colours are truly showing in this class also! I am loving learning the language and frequently get complemented on how well I am doing by the tutor (who incidentally is completely deaf her self and sign language is her first language, which makes the learning even more true to life). The tutor knows I am a beaver scout leader and constantly refers to this fact and that i would of earnt my badge by now for this if there was one (I think she can see how much I am enjoying it). Last night towards the end I was picked to have a conversation with her in front of the class. In sign language you repeat what the person has told you with somethings to ensure you understand (and the grammar/syntax is different to the english language) but the conversation was along the lines of this:

T: Hello

H: Hello

T: How are you?

H: I'm good thank you. How are you?

T: I'm good thank you. What is your name?

H: My name is.........

T: Your name is........

H: Yes. What is your name?

T: My name is........

H: Your name is........

T: Yes. Would you like tea or coffee?

H: Tea please.

T: Would you like milk?

H: Yes please.

T: Would you like sugar?

H: Yes please.

T: How many?

H: 2 please.

T: (pretend to pass over a cup of tea). H: Thank you

T: Would you like cake or biscuit.

H: Biscuit please.

T: How many?

H: 1 please.

T: (pretend to pass over biscuit). H: Thank you.

THEN

H: Would you like tea or coffee?

T: Tea please.

H: Would you like milk?

T: Yes please.

H: Would you like sugar?

T: No thank you

 H: (pretend to pass over a cup of tea). T: Thank you

H: Would you like cake or biscuit.

T: Biscuit please.

H: How many?

T: 1 please.

H: (pretend to pass over biscuit). T: Thank you.

T: It was nice to meet you, see you next week.

H: It was nice to meet you. See you next week.

Both: Goodbye

That was a long conversation to have, only 3 weeks into learning sign language.

Luckily my friend who is doing the course with me is also abit of a nerd and we are both doing as fab as each other!! (I think to be honest we are starting to get some jealous and evil looks from some other people on the course!). I would love to be able to take this further and actually do the Level 1 in British Sign Language course which would also give me a qualification in it, but mainly because I want to learn more and would love to be able to be alot more fluent in this language. Also it means as a scout group we would be able to advertise that we could have hard of hearing/deaf children in our group without their parents needing to stay with them all the time. How great would that be for those children to have some independence and have fun and not feel frustrated because they are not understood due to a language barrier.

So to end this post I will leave you with this picture for the difference between a geek, nerd and dork!!

No comments:

Post a Comment