Wedding!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gangshow

A Gang Show is a theatrical performance with a cast of members from Scouts and Guides. This includes adult leaders! There is a senior gang made up of anyone aged over 12 usually and a junior gang of anyone aged 8-12yrs.

The format of a Gang Show is essentially a revue or variety show; song, dance and short comedy sketches are the most common items. The number of items varies (commonly ranging between 12 and 25): some are stand-alone, others are a series of songs conforming to a chosen theme, or a running gag.
A typical show will include a big opening number, some comedy sketches, several musical items with a mix of group and solo work, dance numbers and of course a grand finale. Some of the material is well-known, other material is original to Gang Shows, sometimes even penned by the young people themselves.
The show's format was created by the late Ralph Reader CBE, the original Gang Show producer, who went on to write much material for Gang Shows, sketches musical numbers and Pageants including the signature tune On the Crest of a Wave.


So now you all know what a gangshow is- you are probably still wondering why I am blogging about it. Well the district that I belong to as a beaver scout leader has just started their rehearsals for gangshow. We hold one every 2years. This will be the second gangshow I will be a part of.

The last show my lung function was at 68% during rehearsals and I was ready to go on IVs at the end of the week with a lung function of about 62%. At the start of the rehearsals my lung function is sitting at 56% which is my apparent new norm. I thought I would be ok and that although I found some of the rehearsals tough last time I would still be ok. I am currently being proven wrong. So far we have only sung through the finale songs and that is enough to make my chest sore and achy because its getting tight and wheezy and generally making me cough my guts up. Things could get interesting but I still plan on perservering. I refuse to let this disease stop me from doing something else I enjoy doing.

So singing songs such as 'Religion of life' and 'crest of the wave' is most definitely interesting with a 56% lung function but I will not be deterred.............

No comments:

Post a Comment