Wedding!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Clinic and IVs

Yesterday I went to clinic to start my IVs. Things went alright, port was needled first time and things are going through it lovely. It's not bleeding back, however I'm not too worried about that as my ports have always been temperemental things when it comes to that. Sometimes it will bleed back and sometimes it won't, but as it is flushing fine and everything else there is no need to resite the needle just to say it was also bleeding back. Ringing up and asking to start the IVs proved to be a good thing, especially when the figures came in. My weight was down by about 3kgs since I was last at clinic, my sats were sitting at 95% in air, they normally sit at 98% in air no matter what I'm doing (even during excercise!). The highest registered lung function I got was 59%, which was down by about 20% on what it was in December. Out of 6 attempts at doing my lung function, that was the best I could do but more worryingly the lowest one I recorded was only 25%, however this was followed by a very long coughing fit which brought up alot of sputum (I'm sure they appreciated the amount, lots to send off to test!) and I then managed to get the 59%. I guess it just goes to show just how much clearing your chest can actually help. Although scared me a little when I realised just how badly I can be affected, especially at the minute where I go through mini episodes of coughing quite awhile, knowing its not all clear but not being able to clear it for 5-10minutes before coughing again. These coughing episodes have also caused me to be sick a number of times as well. So worringly I could be operating on such a low lung function during these times, yet I still carry on as normal!!

I have been put on colomycin and tazocin for 2weeks. Both of these drugs are three times a day. The tazocin is in a syringe and is pushed through over 5minutes, the colomycin is in an intermate and takes about 30minutes to go through.

Unfortunately for me I woke up feeling pretty rough this morning, with a very bad headache, tingly lips and tongue and also oral thrush. I was also feeling pretty sick and abit unstable and wobbly when I tried to walk to the bathroom. I wasn't sure if this was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, but when I rang my team up I was told that it was just side effects of IV colomycin! I have been given some nystatin for the thrush, but otherwise have to try and cope with the tingly lips/tongue, sickness and headaches as there isn't alot they can do about it. If they get to bad then they can stop the drug and give me something else, but it is a good antibiotic and effective against pseudomonnas, so they would prefer me to battle it out against the side effects for as long as I can. The headache has gone now, but I've still got the tingly lips and tongue feeling, along with abit of feelings of sickness. I think I can cope, just hopefully get lots of sleep which will help.

Thats me for now, I'm going to log off, get my IVs and then go to bed for some much needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment